Monday 3 November 2008

Lome bound

After a rough couple of weeks I have finally summoned up enough energy and desire to go to Lome for a complete medical examination. I was having relapses of the same symptoms that I mentioned in previous posts during AIDS ride. It is a a difficult task for me to give presentations in French to mass audiences to begin with, but when you add weakness, fatigue, and diarrhea to the mix makes it pretty much impossible. So my frustrations here continue as I try and find out what exactly is going on. I'm not trying to think about it so much because it really is making me more and more stressed out with each passing day.
On a more upbeat note, my coming to Lome allows me to follow the presidential race more closely. I guess you wouldn't be surprised if I told you Barack Obama is a hero of sorts to the Togolese. I can't talk to more than five people without one of them asking if I have voted yet or who I think is going to win. All of the Togolese I speak to in my town can't get over the fact that I sent in my absentee ballot from Togo to the United States. They think its the greatest thing in the world that I am able to vote even though I am not in the States.

No comments: